Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cath Crowlety's Graffiti Moon





Title: Graffiti Moon
Author: Cath Crowley
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Pages: 264 p.
Summary (from Goodreads):
 "Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about. 

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.

Opening:
My friend recommended me this book, which I am very glad that she did. It was about eleven at night, and I was bored reading a fantasy book, when I began to read Graffiti Moon. I was finished at five in the morning. I didn't get enough sleep, but it was worth it.

Content:
I found it easier for me to write a review with numbers or bullets, this is not my first book-blog. (The old one--I was procrastinating. Yeah.) But in this new one, I want to write something new.
So here it is; Since I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars, I will give you 4 reasons why you'd better pick up this book if you have not:

  1. The characters. I usually hate those girl characters who think selfishly about their love-lives. But Lucy, the main character, is not anything like that. She reminds me of Lily in Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, which is a good thing! She is the kind of girl who doesn't give a damn about what others think, and rather speak out her mind than being quiet. Unlike me. And Ed. Oh, Ed. Just.... let me love you. He is not perfect. He is not like I'm-a-mysterious-guy-come-love-me-then-I'll-dump-you guy. It's not spoiler if I say Ed is Shadow and his friend, Leo, is Poet. (Chapter two was from Ed's perspective.) And there was a scene where Ed said to Lucy that Shadow might not be the guy Lucy had imagined; he might not be smart, and sensitive. Ed, let me say this once more, let me love you.
  2. The perspective. It switched between Lucy and Ed's, which is my favorite! I've read many books that have girls as the narrators, and reading books with boys as the narrators is always interesting. But I want to read a book from both boy and girl; I want to know what's on their mind as the same time. And I was not disappointed with this one! Cath Crowley really knew what's inside both boys and girls' mind; because both Lucy and Ed have different voices.
  3. The plot. A boy and a girl meet, and together, they're searching for something that's right in front of them for a night. Sounds familiar? Yes, like Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, right? But I'm not going to compare this book to Nick and Norah's, both of them are so different. I just love the idea of two people gettting to know each other in a night. Anything can happen in a night, right? (The same thing also happens to me in Gayle Forman's Where She Went.)
  4. The writing. Poet, Poet, Poet. Write me a poem, please? For my assignment.
"Maybe you and me
Maybe you and me
Maybe you and me
But probably not
Maybe I hang out with you longer than a night
Maybe I hang out with you longer than a night
Maybe I hang out with you longer than a night
But probably not
Maybe I forget her
Maybe I forget her
Maybe I forget her
But probably not"
Closing:
If you like Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, you have to read this one. Or if you're bored reading fantasy and dystopian YA (like myself) and in need to read a contemporary novel, go read this one! (If you're not comfortable with f-bomb and teenage sex, don't worry; there might be some cursing, and sex is mentioned, but the characters are even barely kissing until the very end.)

Rating: 4 out of 5 happy owls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! :D